Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Milk and clogs

My spirits are lifted this evening....the clog is gone. No, not in the sink, not the toilet -- my breast. I know you're thinking how can breasts get clogged?? And do I really want to know??

Baby boy is now 9 months and I'm trying to make it to a year with this nursing deal. Usually, things go well -- he nurses, comes away with a satisfied milky grin, and all is right with the world. There is no purer food in life, and it makes me feel good to know I can at least feed my child this way during his first year of development. But, every now and then, something gets jammed up, the plumbing doesn't work quite right, and the milk stops flowing. Baby boy often comes away and looks at me as if he doesn't understand what's wrong with the tap.

Clogged milk ducts are also extremely painful. There's a lump or a whole portion of the breast that feels hard and tender and all I can do is take to the couch with a heating pad and some Tylenol. Oh, and continuously (PAINfully) keep feeding the baby.

This time, it took almost 48 hours for this clog to resolve. A dear friend recommended taking Lecithin to keep reoccuring clogs from happening. The two older kids now know the routine and ask if Mommy's breast is feeling any better. Have you ever heard a 3-year-old ask about a breast? They are wise beyond their years!

And I am looking forward to ending nursing altogether. If he gets his year, I'll be happy. I am sure with his four teeth, he's looking forward to other things like chicken picatta and tacos. Mmmm!

'Til next time...signing off...

2 comments:

calibrwnmom said...

hey tweed, i finally set up a blog account. i am new to this blogging so you are going to have to give me a lesson. do i stick to the topic of milk and clogs or can i talk about the things we do as moms despite the discomfort or pain it may cause us? i am glad to hear you feel better.....

Mina said...

Wait until you have the experience of having your daughter writing about her clogged plumbing...now that's living a full life. so much love for you.